Friday, August 30, 2013

Day Minus 30: Practice Walk - Tomales Point

Tomales Point, the northern tip of Point Reyes National Seashore.
Windswept and desolate.
I am not sure how much of this type of scenery we will encounter in any part of the Camino.
But although the trail, at 9.4 miles out and back, is a bit short of the average daily distance of 12 - 16 miles on the Camino, with some elevation gain, it makes a good practice run (or walk).

(I wasn't planning on posting again until we get into Spain, but we had a great day on this trail, so why not. Actually the hike was on August 18, and it is a retrospective decision to post. On the Camino, I will be posting "real-time," hopefully every night.)

The walk started in a heavy fog as expected. Fortunately by the time there was an elk sighting, visibility had significantly improved.

No blisters on my feet.
But the front of my toes, banging against my new Merrell walking shoes, got bruised.
(Since then, I swapped them for Keen, our favorite brand. We are keen on Keen!)

Will be posting again from Spain.

A herd of elk seen behind the abundant bella donna flowers



Cormorants near Tomales Point

Tomales Point in view, behind wild radish flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment